Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Return to Eating :)


Posting satellite here, from my home in Philadelphia. Home with my fully stocked food cupboard. Isn’t it nice to come home and tear through the cupboards, nibbling at all the comfort foods you’ve always associated with home? I’ve been a bit excessive the past 24 hours, but for good reason.

I’ve missed food!!!!! It’s weird to think of eating as something I take for granted, since it’s so essential to survival. But the variety and quality of food I am able to eat is definitely something I take for granted. Earlier this week, my intestines decided to give up on food and reject anything I put in my body. In order to give them a few day rest, I was hooked up to a protein/sugar solution the consistency of runny glue, allowing nutrition to bypass the gastrointestinal process and be inserted directly into my veins. No chewing, no hassle! But I wasn’t necessarily enjoying it. I did not feel hungry, per se, but I was far from satisfied. And the fact that I am now home testing every food item in my house as if its about to expire attests to this void I’m trying to fill.

I am now easing back into eating. In my quest to consume only “easily digested foods” my thoughts of “good nutrition” have been turned upside down. Avoid complex carbs, grains, raw vegetables and fruits. Choose white bread, canned fruits, sugar and fat are fine. Seriously, it’s all on the fact sheet I received from my doctor.

It’s interesting that we ended class last week with a debate concerning the role of quick high calorie foods. We discussed Gatorade, and the use of Gatorade to relieve diarrhea. I too will be easing into a balanced diet with the aid of a concocted super drink. Carnation instant breakfast. Advertised as containing more protein than an egg and your daily value of calcium! I’ll admit I find them delicious. The variety pack comes with malted chocolate, strawberry, and French vanilla, and when mixed with a little whole milk its as sweet as a milkshake. So I suppose I’d currently place myself in the camp of in favor of high caloric easy meals. But again, I am using these in addition to regular meals, to ensure I cover all bases. Moving solely to a diet of carnation instant breakfast, processed foods or the like…. I think that is seriously dangerous territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment