Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Reflections on Common Thread

Sadly, our time working at Common Thread has come to an end. And for me, it really is sad! I learned so much about agriculture from hands on experience, thoroughly enjoyed the time away from traditional campus, and worked hard to see a real product from my labor! Additionally, the Wednesday group (sorry, Thursday) was never plagued by inclement weather.

I’ll relay some of the tasks I found MOST enjoyable-

Leeks. Cutting the leeks from the shoots made me feel like a samurai. I loved it when I successfully shed the excess with just two swift swoops of the small knife.

Cabbage. For similar reasons, using the knife to free the cabbage from the ground was so satisfying.

Washing Carrots. Holly and I got to clean the carrots using the large washer contraption in the barn. We had heard that Ryan was a master at the machine, and worked hard to prove ourselves just as able. The tasks were threefold- dumping the carrots on one end, spraying with the hose from the opposite end, and periodically taking the broom to unclog the drain directly below the contraption. Holly and I added in pushing the carrots with the broom (opposite end than we used to clean the drain..) and additional spraying at the start point to improve our efficiency.

Separating garlic cloves. This is strictly because it facilitated great conversation as we all sat in a circle, mindless snapping garlic and separating into the six buds.

You may be tired from hearing this from so many others, but another aspect of the farm I loved was the respite from campus living. I honestly loved getting off the hill, engaging in physical labor, and letting my mind wander from the usual stresses of work and extracurricular commitments. Speaking with Amy and Chris, who have so many interesting and diverse insights, added to my enjoyment. Their openness to informal questions and knowledge in an array of fields- both in terms of the farm (pun definitely intended) and social structures- was extremely eye opening.

Sonya spoke earlier about the state she returns home after a morning on the farm. One of my favorite post-farm moments happened this past Friday, after a morning laying hay over the recently planted garlic. In an impromptu moment, I decided to get my haircut and walked in to JJ’s salon after only changing out of my farm clothes. As the stylist readied herself to begin the cut, she asked me if I had been to a wild party the night before.

“What, haha no?” I responded.

She then pulled a piece of hay from my hair and gave me an inquisitive look.

“Oh! Believe it or not, I was working on Common Thread farm this morning.”

She told me she’s seen it before…

I don’t know if she believed my excuse. But it forced me to pause and realize how lucky we are, to have this experience at Common Thread that so many at Colgate do not. We have crazy stories and hands on experience that will stay with us for a long time coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment