Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving

I come from a family that not only loves to eat but also loves to cook. So, you can imagine how we use every single holiday during the year to come up with an enormous feast. Thanksgiving is no exception.

This year Thanksgiving was at my aunt’s house. My family arrived around four in the evening. As soon as I entered the house, the tremendous aroma of all the foods filled the air and my taste buds began salivating in anticipation for the meal. My great uncle was busy in the kitchen carving the turkey that just emerged from the oven. It was a HUGE one- at least 20 pounds. The adults were helping prepare the last minute courses.

There were hor-d’oeuvres all around- everything from shrimp cocktail to cheese and crackers. I always know I’m in for some great cheese that my great aunt and uncle purchase from a specialty store in Scarsdale - a special cranberry variety, a sweet honey/walnut one, and a mixed herb one.

Once the turkey was carved, we were ready to eat. Normally at family meals the food came out in courses, appetizers followed by the entrée. However, this time, all the food came out at once. We all grasped our plates and stood in line in anticipation of a delicious meal. I immediately reached for the turkey and proceeded to take a huge slab of meat for my plate. Back when I was young, I used to hate white meat- I always went for the big leg. Now, I enjoy white meat a lot, especially when it is roasted to perfection. I went on to fill my plate until it was overflowing array of food (and quite colorful too!). Coupled with gravy, the turkey seemed irresistible. I took a few pieces of the white and dark meat. In less than five minutes, I proceeded to wolf down this massive chunk of turkey.

Stuffing soon followed, as it is always a must on Thanksgiving. My grandma’s recipe never seems to disappoint me. I then moved on to the sweet potato dish with brown sugar and roasted pecans-I could have eaten it all! I next tried the Cranberry sauce, made by my aunt who lives in Vermont and always use the freshest of ingredients. I had tasted Cranberry sauce many times before, but I never tasted it with fresh homegrown berries. The taste was absolutely exquisite. It was full of flavor and quite sharp. After consuming several spoonfuls of cranberry sauce my stomach began to feel very full. However, this was Thanksgiving so I could not settle just yet. I next moved onto the green beans, sautéed in a light sauce, with roasted almonds, and onions. All these different flavors and textures combined created such a delicious meal.

After the main course, we took a little break from all the food and just hung out and caught up. Seeing my younger cousins always brought out the kid in me as they begged me to play ping pong and video games downstairs (Of course I did!)

As soon as the pumpkin pie was removed from the oven, the air was filled with an aroma that can only be described as sensational. I took a slice of the delicious homemade pie and I could tell easily that it was made from only the ripest pumpkins, and that many hours had been spent making it. After working at the farm this semester, I have realized the difference in eating locally grown products and how the taste varies significantly from store bought, pre-packaged items. I definitely feel more connected to the food.

I’m already looking forward to Thanksgiving next year and I bet you guys are all as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment