Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Rabbit Butchering Family Fair

As a proud father of a rabbit, when I came across an article titled "Rabbit-butchering event called off because of complaints," I was more than a little shocked.  An urban farm in a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA, called Knotweed Urban Farm, had organized the event.  After checking out the farms Facebook page, I found out that they are a CSA, very much like Common Thread.  They invited a local butcher that raises rabbits and hens in an urban setting-- supposedly an trend that is increasing in popularity because of the small amount of space required to raise those animals.  The plan was to create a "butchering fair" for families to come to the farm to see butchering demonstrations so that families had a better idea of where their food came from.  The fair was planned to be complete with bouncy structures for kids, popcorn stands, and other attractions.  The event was announced to be cancelled however, because of the large amount of protest it has received.  The farm's Facebook wall was covered with angry and threatening messages, and there were reports of numerous voicemails denouncing the event.  

I like to think of rabbits as joyful and fluffy little creatures, but would not hesitate to order rabbit on a menu- it is true that there is a complete disconnect between animals and food in a lot of people's minds.  If you can't stomach seeing an animal die so that you can eat it, do you have the right to eat it, morally?  I can definitely see the point of the butchering demonstration.  People should think about the entire life cycle of food and be better connected with their food; whether that be picking their own vegetables at a CSA, or seeing an animal before it is eaten.  That being said (and let me note that I am the furthest thing from a vegetarian...), I do have a problem with making an "event" surrounding the death of the animal.  It is not something that should be celebrated.  Even if it is on a small farm, by a butcher/farmer that raises and kills his animals in  more a comfortable and humane way than huge, industrialized farms.  My other issue with the event is that it was advertised as a "family" event.  Again, I understand the intention of trying to make sure kids know where their food comes from, but I doubt that young kids will be able to grasp the concepts that the demonstration are trying to convey.

In summary, I can't argue that a greater connection with your food is beneficial in many ways, but I am not sure that a fair surrounding the slaying of a cute animal is the best way to get that message across.  I am satisfied looking at my bunny as a cute fuzzball, and not as a potential main ingredient in my stew.


No comments:

Post a Comment