Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Homemade Mac Recipe

Okay so I think we can all agree that there are few foods less beautiful than mac & cheese. Here's my great grandmother's recipe & some live action photos (fun fact: I inherited my weird middle name, Esther, from her):

Grocery list:
-1 block of Cabot extra sharp cheddar (black packaging)
-1 can (the larger size, I think it's 28 oz) of Redpack tomatoes (so the actual REAL recipe style has been discontinued, it was plum shaped with the Italian seasoning, so just get as close as you can...maybe whole peeled)
-bread crumbs
-parmesan
-a little milk
-a pound of cooked pasta
(-an oven and a covered casserole dish)

Basically, what you want to do is grate the block of cheese (which can also be replaced with dairy free/vegan cheese, I bet!). Take a fork and knife and cut up the tomatoes really small in a casserole dish, leaving the juice etc. in, and mix in cheese. The milk is to make it more of a sauce, so add as much or little as you like...I think I usually do around 1/4-1/2 of a cup. Mix in cooked pasta and top the whole thing with a bunch of bread crumbs and parmesan (so it gets nice and crusty). Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes (basically as long as you can wait/enough to melt everything) with the cover, then remove cover for the last 5-10 to brown.

It's a cheap meal that feeds a solid 4 people, pretty easy to make (cheese grating is a good TV-watching activity). Comes out different every time!...at least if you're me and never buy the same tomatoes/add the same amount of milk/etc. It's not too cheesy, either, so you don't feel gross after.


Here's me making a variation of this recipe in Brazil!


Some different ingredients, based on food I could get my hands on there. (I think there's an onion in there?)


I wouldn't recommend spaghetti-version because spaghetti's a pain to get on your fork, bowties usually work best with the sauce consistency (they sort of scoop it up, with all that surface area)

They don't eat a ton of pasta in Brazil/don't know what to do with it, so I got some super rave reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment