Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Food Blogs

I know that it is ironic to title my post today "Food Blog," considering that that's what this is, but what I want to talk about today is the world of food blogging. This summer my brother introduced me to the fabulous website www.tastespotting.com. It is now my homepage, and I have spent more time procrastinating on it than I ever have been able to waste on facebook.

Tastespotting is a wonderful website that brings together all of the best recipes from the best food blogs across the internet. The world of food blogging is a rising one, and for good reason. What better way to celebrate food, share recipes, showcase pictures, and just plain talk about eating than on the internet? I have read food blogs about cakes, vegetables, cooking with kids, cooking for athletes, cupcakes, pastries, vegan cooking, vegetarian cooking, gluten-free cooking... the list goes on and on.

Perhaps my overall point is that the day of the church cook book is slowly dying. Today, if I want a recipe for a great chocolate cake, I just head over to my favorite cake blog and see what it's got to offer. I have threatened my computer with death by butter and flour several times over from using it as a vehicle to see my recipes, and this trend is not going away. New blogs pop every day, and different people with entirely different reasons for blogging are posting away. Our class has certainly take a liking to Jim's pancake blog, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the next creative thing.

In the meantime, I plan to continue my search for the best food blogs out there, and appreciate the wealth of recipes available to me online for free. I hope to enjoy many more popcorn balls in the future of my food blog hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment