Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

I love shrimp!

Shrimp Scampi is something my mother makes very often and I decided I wanted to try it on my own. It is very easy to cook which is just perfect for any college student. I didn't follow a cook book or any cooking recipes online and instead just followed the instructions my mother gave me. I don't like to measure things out when it comes to cooking so I usually just estimate and hope for the best. (sounds silly but I constantly taste it to see if anything is missing) I found a recipe online for the Shrimp Scampi which is very similar to my mothers recipe. Here's the recipe I found online:


  • 1 pound large (16-20 count) shrimp, shelled* and de-veined, tail-on for presentation if you want
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2-3 tablespoons butter
  • Salt
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, slivered, or 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/shrimp_scampi/


Out of the ten ingredients listed above I only used five, but then again this is what I am used to and how I'm used to eating it. I used shrimp, butter, garlic, parsley, and cooking wine. With these five ingredients I made the perfect Shrimp Scampi, in my opinion at least. 

Ingredients:

- 10-12 shelled shrimp
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon of blended garlic

Procedure:

I first peeled the hard shell off the shrimp before doing anything else. After peeling the shrimp, I then began to melt the butter on a pan. The burner was set on a medium level so that none of the ingredients would burn. After the butter had melted completely, I added the garlic and the parsley. Before introducing the parsley I had cut it up into very small pieces. I let them sit for about 1 minute and proceeded to add the cooking wine to the pan. I let all those ingredients sit together for about 2 minutes so that all the different flavors would mix. I then poured the shrimp into the pan and cooked them for about 5 minutes until they had a nice color.

Here are pictures of the process and end result:

The peeling of the shell of the shrimp


Cutting up the parsley


Butter


Blended up garlic


White cooking wine


All the ingredients mixed together 


Final product


Even though I didn't follow a specific recipe online or the traditional one, my shrimp scampi was perfect for me. After a few more times of cooking the shrimp, it will get better and easier and maybe I will try some of the other recipes as well. 


 

1 comment: