Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Eating Aliens?

http://grist.org/food/the-ultimate-guilt-free-diet-hunting-invasive-species/

Check out the article above. It is about Jackson Landers new book, a chronicle of his experience hunting and eating invasive species. I'd like to hear from the full time vegetarians in our class about their thoughts on his theory.

Invasive species are a huge, but largely unrecognized, problem. Landers believes that hunting allows you to escape the mainstream meat production system and that hunting alien species could be a viable solution to invasive take-over.

I'm keen on his idea. Although I don't think I will be munching on Emerald Ash Borer any time soon, I like the idea of managing invasives through responsible hunting. I think the public's growing interest in sustainable food options and reconnecting with their food would help create a market. It doesn't seem too far fetched to imagine Jackson Landers at a progressive farmers market...

I'm pretty squeemish when it comes to dissections and killing animals in the name of science. It's part of why I never considered being premed. But, when I was in Australia, I caught and dissected over 50 Cane Toads and felt very little remorse. Cane Toads are the classic example of invasive species. They were brought over as a means of controlling beetles in sugar cane fields but now are one of the most destructive alien species in Australia. They disrupt food chains and are toxic to a number of native species. It seems like my qualms about killing animals was mediated by the benefits of removing the toad from the ecosystem. In a way, it's sort of a utilitarian justification.

I'm not sure if Landers would agree with me, but I think that's why I like his idea. The utilitarian approach really appeals to me and as Landers points out, this could be a viable alternative to vegetarianism for people who really do enjoy eating meat.




No comments:

Post a Comment