Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Price Chopper Dilemma


I have always been one to pay attention to the seasons, but never have I been more aware of them as I am this year. Having gone to the farmers’ market almost every Saturday this fall, I got used to having fresh, delicious vegetables in my fridge. I had sandwiches and wraps almost every day but I didn’t get tired of them because the veggies (especially the tomatoes!) were so flavorful. A couple of weeks ago, I got my tomatoes at Price Chopper for the first time this semester. What a disappointment! They may be red and flawless on the outside, but on the inside they are hard and devoid of all flavor and color. I tried to continue my usual diet of sandwiches and wraps, but it wasn’t satisfying anymore. I found myself snacking more,  and getting take-out on almost a daily basis from Hamilton Whole Foods, Hamilton Eatery, or Oliveri’s. Not only was I craving more flavor, but with the weather getting colder every day, I was craving hot food. Yesterday , I finally I decided to go to the grocery store and do something about this. Back at Price Chopper, I found myself in quite a quandary. I have tried for awhile now to eat foods that are less processed, but after watching King Corn and Food Inc., I felt even more conscious of this. As I looked around, it seemed that everything around me was either processed or shipped from hundreds or thousands of miles away (most of the vegetables). It felt like I was in a lose-lose situation.

 In desperation, I called my parents. I explained to them the dissatisfaction I had been feeling with my sandwiches and wraps and asked them if they could think of anything hot I could make myself for dinner from relatively unprocessed ingredients. My mom suggested a “Mexican Pumpkin Stew”. She immediately started listing off the ingredients: butternut squash, canned diced tomatoes, canned kidney beans, canned corn, salsa, etc… Although I wasn’t too jazzed about the idea of most of the ingredients coming in cans, I was happy that the main ingredient – the butternut squash – is something that at least was grown in this state. I figure it’s impossible to make a meal out of entirely local, unprocessed ingredients – especially in the winter! – so I might as well just do the best I can. I was able to find organic versions of all the canned ingredients, so that made me feel better. When I got home, my roommate expressed her distrust of the “organic” label. That got me thinking – am I just a blind consumer falling for the “organic” label cause it makes me feel good? After doing research on “organic” production in China last summer, I do feel like I can trust USDA organic more than Chinese organic. However, I would like to look into the authenticity of the “organic” label here in the U.S. I hope that we will discuss that in this last section of our course.

I plan on making the “Mexican Pumpkin Stew” tonight so I’ll report back and tell you all how it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment