Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Now What?

With this class coming to end, I am considering what role I can play to shift our current food system. Last  class, professor urged us not to be too skeptical about the future of food. We are the generation capable of making a change and pessimism will only serve to limit our potential. I must admit that throughout most of this class I was pretty pessimistic. To me, the future of food seamed very daunting. Sometimes I felt like there were far too many obstacles to overcome and that our current society was not ready to overcome them. For example, to change the food system we must snap our addiction with fossil fuels, break the norms of mass production, and foster a social paradigm shift that emphasizes food justice around the globe. That change will not be easy.

After last class, I received a little wake up call about my role as an ordinary food consumer. To be completely honest with myself, it is people like me, the skeptics, that will inhibit food change in the future. So I guess it is time for me to change. What can I do to make a difference?  I think my best plan of action is just not to not be a part of the problem, if that makes any sense. I don't see myself as being on the front lines of the food revolution. As sad as it sounds, it just isn't my style. Instead, I view myself as playing the role of the conscious consumer. I will hold myself responsible for making the right food choice whenever I have the chance. I now recognize that, though the obstacles seam insurmountable, I must play my part. There is no point in being skeptical. It isn't going to get us anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment