Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Cleaning Out the Fridge

Getting ready to go home for break my roommate and I had to clean out our fridge. It was not a pleasurable experience. Somehow through the stress of homework and exams, we had completely neglected our kitchen. Without time to cook, our trash was filled with fast food boxes rather than fresh food bags. This afternoon as I pulled out old onion, after old tomato, each item was a reminder of various pledges I had made throughout the semester to eat healthy (as well as of money lost). Looking back at my adventures to the grocery store this semester, I was being entirely ambitious with my purchases. Eating healthy usually requires cooking--a skill I do not have.Throughout the semester I bought many vegetables, but I never had any idea what to do with them. I even made the effort to go apple picking (with hopes of baking a fresh apple pie), but alas the apples remained in the fridge all semester uncooked. For an inexperienced chef like myself, is it even worth it to try? For next semester will I inevitably end up with piles of wasted food, instead of gourmet healthy meals? Cooking really can be a daunting experience. There are so many complicated utensils, such an array of spices available, a couple of dangerous objects (fire and knives) involved. Cooking doesn't seem like something I can casually pick up. It's a skill to be acquired. How people know that certain spices go well together will always amaze me. Ultimately I think Colgate should start a cooking class, or club. It really is an important life skill (essential to health eating) that many of us students don't have. Maybe if I wasn't so scared of the kitchen, I'd make more of an effort to spend time in there.

1 comment: