Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Saturday, December 1, 2012


I finally tried out the Mexican Pumpkin Stew my mom suggested… what was that now, 3, 4 weeks ago? The squash used for the stew was quite well-traveled by the time it actually became soup: It sat on my kitchen counter at school for two weeks, my counter at home in Ithaca for one week (I thought we might eat it over Thanksgiving), and then came back with me to school last weekend. As much as I wanted to make the soup before that, I couldn't seem to set aside the time. I thought I could make it on a Saturday, but I was always too tired; I thought I would make it on a Sunday, but I was always doing work. During the week was not even an option. It just seemed like the process of actually seeding the squash and cutting it up would be way to messy and take way too long. I know it sounds lazy, but you know what it’s like when in this last stretch of the semester – every minute counts. So what finally motivated me to make the soup? My mom. She actually cut the squash up for me the day we left to come back to school. So sweet of her but so sad that that’s what it took for me to actually make this. If I, as someone who really cares about my food and where it comes from, cannot even make the time to make one home-made dish, what about other people who don’t care? 

Anyways, I’m so happy I finally made it because the result was delicious. It took only about an hour to make – 30 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of letting it simmer on the stove. The prep was super easy once my mom had already cut up the squash because almost all of the other ingredients were in cans or other containers (corn, beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, vegetable broth, etc.). Once it was done, I shared it with my roommate and it made for a lovely dinner. And the best part is, it lasted me for 3 days after that! I had it for two more dinners and a lunch. I didn't get tired of it. Every time I had it it was more delicious because the flavors had had time to coalesce. I realized that it was definitely worth the time it took me to make it because of the easy leftovers it provides for the rest of the week. I hope this experience will motivate me to cook more next semester – and hopefully cut up my own squash!

No comments:

Post a Comment