Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Is "Slices" Worth the Trip?


Last week Zagat rated Hamilton’s own New York Pizzaria (aka “Slices”) as one of the “10 Pies Worth a Trip." My initial response was that a Colgate alumnus must have compiled the list.  How else would the almighty Zagat guide know about Slices? Why else would they care? Their pizza is good, but I have had much better pizza in my life time—Pagliacci’s in Seattle, Artichoke Basille’s in New York, and Apizza Scholls  in Portland to name a few.

Regardless whether “Slices” truly deserved to be dubbed as one of the Top 10 Pie Worth a Trip, the company has a loyal following within the Colgate community. I guarantee every Colgate student, for some time past, has fond memories at “Slices.” Many of my friends who have graduated from Colgate, put a trip to “Slices” at the top of their to-do lists when they are back on campus.


The obsession in the Colgate community over average pizza begs the question as to how our perceptions of food are contextualized within the overall dining experience. If “Slices” was to transplant to New York City or San Francisco, and operate amongst many other pizzerias, would their food be held to the same prestige? I don’t think it would be. My appreciation for Slices is rooted in the memories I have at the pizza parlor: late nights out, a cheap bite to eat after work, lazy Saturday afternoons, and so on. For me, and many of my classmates, Slices (as the only late night food option in Hamilton) will always be symbolic of my Colgate experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment