Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

And Now Back to Butternut Squash..

It's probably obvious, but butternut squash is a personal favorite.  It's delicious and SO versatile, so of course I have to make as many uses of it as I can while it's in season!

Today's feature: Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash


I buy organic butternut squash pre-chopped and peeled from Price Chopper.  Over family weekend, my  mom and I took a tour of the Saturday farmer's market on Hamilton's Village Green.  We picked up a bunch of fresh produce from the Common Thread Farm Stand and my mom had a chance to chat with Asher about the farm I work on every week.  Among the vegetables we selected were fresh beets. Yum! I wasn't quite sure what I would do with them until I put them in my refrigerator section next to my beautiful, pre-cut chunks of butternut squash.

Today, I decided to bring this recipe to life.  Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the process, only the results, but I think that's okay because this recipe speaks for itself.

First, I chopped the tops off and washed the beets.  I peeled the skin off and cut them in to cubes, about 1/2 inch thick.  I then took the butternut squash chunks and chopped them a tiny bit smaller so they would be evenly-sized with the beets--even cuts leads to even cooking!

I sprayed my 9x9 pyrex with a little bit of vegetable spay and then spread both the beets and butternut squash pieces in the dish.  I sliced about 1/4 of an onion and spread the slices over the top.

Finally, I seasoned the vegetables with Garlic Salt, Paprika, Cumin, and Black Pepper, drizzled them with a bit of olive oil, and put it in the oven at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.

I've done this recipe a couple times, trying out different combinations, but this one is by far my favorite… probably because of all the pretty colors that the beet juice gives to the squash.

If you're not a fan of beets, I've also tried this with asparagus and brussel-sprouts, so all it takes is a little experimentation to please your palate!

I usually mix the veggies with quinoa to make a lovely (and nutrient-rich) salad, but they can also be served solo.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment