Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin-Cookies?

So I had a lot of leftover overripe bananas and wanted to use them up in some way. I wanted to make a healthier version of chocolate chip cookies, but with more of a banana taste, and I found a recipe for banana chocolate chip cookies. I've been wanting to experiment with substituting fatty ingredients like oil/butter with pureed bananas or applesauce, so this was my opportunity to try it. What resulted after I 'healthied' things up were not really cookies by texture per se, and more like cake, but delicious nonetheless! And I didn't have cupcake liners so I couldn't make muffins which is why I stuck with cookies even after I realized they weren't really cookies...But here is the recipe:

-1 and 1/3 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-6 tbsp white sugar
-6 tbsp light brown sugar
-1 egg white (beaten)
-1 tsp vanilla
-3 very ripe bananas
-3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
2. In a large bowl, place peeled bananas and mash them until they are in an almost puree form (or you can put them in a blender I guess). Add in the egg white, brown and white sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until combined throughly. Then fold in the chocolate chips. *Note: the mixture will appear runny which is what made me think these would be better suited as muffins.*

4. Place in whatever vessel you prefer (I chose cookie sheets).
5. Bake at 375 F for ~10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment