Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

A walk through my first day on the CommonThread Farm with Kale!

Yesterday was the day that I along with my Wednesday group classmates interned at CommonThread farm for the very first time. As I write this I can't help but feel sorry for the Thursday group who was not as lucky as us to spend our morning under overcast skies with not a rain drop in sight. 

Upon arrival to the farm we were all split up and given different tasks. I should mention that Wednesday's at CommonThread are a very busy day that is centered around harvesting in preparation for shipments, farmers markets, and the farm share (CSA) program. I was given the task of harvesting a little swiss chard and large amounts of kale with a farm apprentice. While harvesting the kale I learned that this vegetables is truly a gift that keeps on giving. The technique used for harvesting kale is to snap off the lower leaves in a downward motion, leaving the leaves at the very top of the plant intact. This allows the plant to replenish itself two or even three more times throughout the season. As I harvested the kale I thought about how I incorporate kale into my diet. One of my favorite ways to eat kale is in what is called a green smoothie. So in honor of spending my first day harvesting kale I would like to share with you my favorite and personalized green smoothie recipe with kale of course!


Kori's Green Smoothie Recipe

What your sexy self will need:

2 cups of Kale
2 cups of coconut water (you can use water if you do not like coconut water)
2 to 3 cups of pineapple (I use pineapple because it does a good job of hiding the bitter taste of kale and it's yummy)
1 banana 
1mason jar (because it makes the smoothie look so pretty and legit, also great for storing the fridge if you can't finish it all at once)

Putting it all together:

In a blender combine all ingredients. Blend. If you want the smoothie to be less chunky, try using a juicer! 

Oh and ENJOY!

note: fresh fruit is always better, but if you want the smoothie to be cold use frozen fruit or 1 cup of ice. 

This is the perfect combination for me, but if you're looking for different ideas of green smoothies and beyond check out this cool website! 
http://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes






No comments:

Post a Comment