Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Monday, September 15, 2014

I love "Futomaki"!


I talked about "Big sushi roll (we call it "Futomaki")" former class.   I found a good website about Futomaki and I want to share with you what is it.  

http://www.allaboutsushiguide.com/futomaki.html

You can see first photo that is almost same as my grandmother made.   She just made it for special occasion and family gathering.  It take a long time for preparation to cook the ingredients and is difficult to roll it all ingredients put in the middle.  My grandmother always said to herself when she made it "why the ingredients isn't in the center?"   But I didn't care about the shape because it looked good and is very tasty for me.

She usually use "Sakura Denbu" (you can see what it is the website).   It is very sweet because it is used lot of sugar.  I have not had a sweet tooth when I was a little, I didn't like sweet food.  But I loved it when grandma use Sakura Denbu to Futomaki.  I think it becomes futomaki more tasty!

We usually cut it when we eat.  But once a year Feb. 3rd, we eat one roll of futomaki directly for celebrating "the day before the beginning of Spring", we call it "Setsubun".

This picture is my little one eat it at her big mouth!




No comments:

Post a Comment