Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Monday, November 7, 2016

More Chickens

I just finished lecturing my dad about monocultures and feed lots and sustainability and the like, so I figured it would be inappropriate to not write a blog post. Additionally, I just ate my first "chicken" nugget in probably like ten years...exciting!!

So in terms of the nugget, it's one of those fake meat Morning Star Farms things. I was never super in to fake meat, because I didn't miss meat too much in the first place. Some of the veggie burgers are good though...they're made actually with veggies and aren't really trying to be meat imposters. Nonetheless, I randomly decided to try the "chik'n nuggets", with some lemon salad dressing (the only sauce I had) and they were awesome! You really can't compete with frying something with no nutritional value to begin with. The first ingredient is water (interesting), followed by soy and corn oil (I'm the worst). But anyways...super exciting/momentous occasion in my life! If you're feeling bad about all of this horrible meat stuff we've learned in the past few days, I'd highly recommend some fake meat. It doesn't even taste weird.

Additionally, you'd all be proud to know that I was after my dad on the phone this evening about food-related fiascos. I guess with tomorrow's ballot, they're also voting on laws pertaining to the animal penning/caging size of meat sold in Massachusetts. *Real time update on Nov 8th: and it's winning!*

One last exciting thing: Sweetness and Power was mentioned in one of my readings for another class! It just briefly talked about slavery in Latin America and was like "this would be a good book to read if you're interested". I felt pretty cultured, having heard of an additional reading that the author mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment