Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Eating Less than 30 g of Sugar a Day....

Sometimes when I can't fall asleep at night I go on "Iphone-App-Spending-Sprees". They're not exactly "spending-sprees" because I mostly download the free ones but I'll buy get like 6 at a time and then excitedly play with them all night. So, sunday night I bought "Fitnesspal", an App that allows you to track your exercise and diet and count calories/carbs/sugar etc. My roommate had the App and I felt inspired - so with one click and a 3-minute wait my obsession began. So, according to this App (and a few nutrition websites) I should be limiting my sugar intake to 30g per day. I eat pretty healthily so I thought "ha no problem, I'll show you Mintz!". So far I've recorded 2 days... and my breakfast/snack this morning...and I'd like to report how UNsuccessful I've been....

Monday: a total of 61 g
Tuesday: a whopping 90 g!!
and Today after a small portion of Chobani greek yogurt, topped with a half portion of blueberries and 1/2 cup of Kashi "Indigo Morning" cereal and the small Gala apple I just snacked on I have 2 grams left for the day.....

If you can't tell by my breakfast and 11AM snack, 30 g doesn't get you far! For more proof here was my Tuesday food intake: 

Breakfast: So sunday night I made a sweet-potato and apple bake (yummy, but admittedly full of brown sugar and natural sugars). For breakfast, I spooned some of that over Quakers plain oatmeal and threw some Almonds on top. 
Lunch: I had a Lori's Lemon Tea (by Honest Tea, "lightly sweetened") and a Pitadilla from Hamilton Whole Foods (pita, avocado, black beans, cheese, hot salsa)
Dinner: 3/4 cup of white rice, steamed broccoli, carrots, beans and peas with soy sauce and a handful of crushed walnuts and almonds (plus a dash of red pepper) 
Snacks: half a serving of Lowfat Cottage Cheese with a small handful of fresh strawberries and even smaller handful of blueberries and an after dinner 3/4 serving of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
*I only drank black coffee and water besides my noted Iced Tea*

So here's my question: HOW'S A GIRL SUPPOSED TO EAT? Today I am going to continue with my normal food choices and then tomorrow (Thursday) I am going to TRY for a low sugar day while meeting all the other caloric, carb, protein and fiber suggestions... ( if I'm falling asleep in class you can't blame me!) I'll report back Friday, if I make it through Thursday.


Update!
So my low-sugar day ended up being Friday and I did it! I only have 20 g of sugar but was short on total fat, potassium, carbs, calcium and iron..... Not sure what this says about my normal food choices, food options, or dietary needs but it definitely says something. Thoughts?

I had plain oatmeal and almonds for breakfast, low sodium lentil soup for lunch, a big salad (lemon juice dressing) for dinner and snacked on goldfish and blueberries throughout the day. It was tough but not dramatically different than what I usually eat. I did have to avoid starches and fruit, two staples of my normal diet. Thoughts?? How much sugar do you eat a day??



1 comment:

  1. Hi I actually stumbled on your website by google. IT IS SO HARD to stay under 30 g a sugar a day and some websites are saying less than 20 g of sugar for women and 37 g for men.........what?! NOT FAIR. Ugh so i was taking a blog this week about how much sugar and sodium I eat.........the values are approximate because cupcakes handed out at work don't' come w/ nutrition labels and neither do masamun curry take out I ordered after yoga. I think I average anywhere from 60-100 g of sugar. Today was another "bad" day for consuming bad stuff because I drank part of a bottle of grape soda. I have a thing for grape but I'm normally not a soda drinker. Let's just say the sugar level in that entire bottle would probably give me diabetes. I really hope I can get a better handle on my sugar consumption since it's as addictive as crack. I guess what I noticed that I need to cut out more than anything are those "conveniant foods" like granola bars and fruit snacks I have a fix on my whole life. One teeny tiny market pantry size fruit snack from Target is a whopping 13g of sugar!? I might as well eat a friggen candy bar. 20 g of sugar seems so unrealistic especially when food manufacturers lace everything with sugar. And my grapefruit from Del-Monte has asulfame?! Those jerks! They don't need to add artificial sweeteners too! It's going to be a challenge since I LOVE sweet stuff and I'm not fat no am I on a diet I'm just doing this purely to be more sound with my nutrition. I just wish food manufactures stop lacing everything we eat with sugar. I did come to a philosophy on this. I make my own smoothies at home because a smoothie from McDonalds isn't as "healthy" as we like it to be. Sour treats like popsicles and sour candy that adds a shit load of sugar isn't worth it at all. Infact if I only can have so many g of sugar a day.........why eat something sour that has a crap load of sugar also added to it when it doesn't taste sweet! And I guess I am just going to have t ask myself each time I come to the store, is this really worth 11g of added sugar? If it peaks my curiosity of a new product well i might try it but the fact that tomato soup adds sugar? really pisses me off! So yeah food manufactures are the real enemy. I just wish it was easier to make healthier food choices. Looks like I will have to spend more time in the produce section.

    ReplyDelete