Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Preparing for the Winter Share at Common Thread


Over the weekend, I went to Common Thread to help Wendy out with a project. Originally, I assumed I would be performing the usual tasks of harvesting crops. However, when I arrived I found Wendy’s pickup truck loaded with tools, metal rods, plastic tarp, and countless mini black trash bags filled with dirt. I quickly learned that we would be doing some manual labor in order to prep for Common Thread’s winter share. The fall CSA coincidentally ended the day that we began this project, and Wendy informed me that we needed to build protection over crops that would not survive the coming winter weather. The morning I was there, Wendy was most concerned with covering a row of spinach stretching almost 100 feet. Without proper protection, Common Thread would potentially lose their entire row of spinach.

            We began the project by taking ten-foot long metal rods that were bent to form an arch-like shape. Wendy and I stood on either side of the spinach row, and with a mallet and rod we made sixteen holes stretching 100 feet; the holes were six-inches deep and six feet apart. After the holes were made, we took the arched metal rods and inserted them into the holes we made on either side of the spinach row. After this step was complete, we took a thin layer of fabric (meant to create warmth) and stretched it over the metal arches spanning 100 feet. From there, we took thick plastic tarp and covered the row of spinach. The tarp is essential because it is expected to hold up to two feet of snow. Lastly, we took the dirt filled garbage bags and secured them over the layer of fabric and tarp to keep the material in place.

            Shockingly, building the entire structure took only two hours. I was surprised that the two of us could complete the task in such a short amount of time. Through my time harvesting on the farm, I already had respect for the hard work that goes into running and maintaining a farm. However, my time there this weekend gave me a greater respect for such labor. I had never done manual labor like this before and it was hard; I was exhausted after only two hours. To be honest, I felt a little pathetic after I left; Asher and Wendy do manual labor like this on a day-to-day basis, for much longer than two hours! I truly am amazed by the work ethic of farmers, and I was proud to have contributed… even if for a short time.  

Below is an image of our completed project:







No comments:

Post a Comment