Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Nostalgia




At the end of October my laptop started giving me problems: in either the middle of me listening to music or writing a paper or me watching a television show; it would--at random--start to loudly beep; freeze; and refuse to work again, unless I switched it off, waited a minimum of thirty minutes(if I was lucky, only thirty minutes!)  to have it back on and running.
After delivering it to the bookstore, which took another week to fix, my Macbook Pro-- today-- was ready for pick-up. So after my Living Writers class, I took the 4.12pm cruiser downtown. Excited to finally, after more than two weeks, bring my laptop home. At the cash counter, my credit card declines. After three swipes, it still declines. I am positive I have money. I am so sure. But the machine refuses to accept it.
I walk out, angry,sad; into the cold snow, without a laptop. As I trudge back home, I remember a joke my dad use to say --No money No honey.
Upset, and with only twenty dollars in my wallet, I decide to stop at the Hamilton Whole foods. I now can only afford a sandwich. I was actually craving a medium spicy lamb biryani with Indian raita and a garden salad at the Indian Grill but that would have costed 15 dollars, not including tip.
At the Hamilton Whole Foods, I look at their selections of salads, wraps, sandwiches and homemade soups. I order a Cheeky Monkey wrap that contains chic-pea salad, tabouli, peanuts, raisins, cheese, and a cheeky monkey sauce. I was missing UAE: Arabic food. What better way to drive the nostalgia away by eating tabouli? As I was waiting for them to grill my Cheeky Monkey wrap, I browsed around the store. I was surprised at the variety they have. They had different Chinese sauces; nori wrappers; pre-made, packaged Indian food, variety of cheeses, different selection of organic pasta, and so many types of lentils to choose from. They were selling organic squash, potatoes, and onions as well. I saw a selection of organic jams, and ginger spreads, it all looked so delicious.
No Money No Honey.

I usually eat at the Frank dining hall. It is where I have my lunch and dinner. They usually do a good job of trying to change the menu everyday, but you can expect the basic: burgers, pizzas,pastas, meat, rice, vegetables and the salad bar. Il confess, with so much variety, I tend to overeat, sending me on a soporific high at Case Library, which is where I reside after Frank--such a bad idea: studying with a food-baby. Problems I guess of a foodie who just loves to eat and wishes for a bigger appetite and maybe stomach?Maybe.
When my wrap does come on the table. I am surprised how tiny it looks. I was expecting something longer. But oh well, I guess I should not expect much for 5 dollars and 99 cents. I bit into it and was amazed how good it was. The chic-pea salad was delicious, and it went well with the tabouli salad. The melted cheese and peanuts were doing a fine job with every morsel. The combination worked well together. The whole meal made me miss home more. It had such an Arabic flavor. It was definitely a nice change from Frank. And surprisingly I was completely full after the short, small looking wrap.
I have another month till I go back home. Till then I am hoping to drive away the nostalgia and memories by eating Arabic related foods. So my next stop, again at the Hamilton Whole foods, this time for the Hummus and Grape Leaves Wrap. The Description: Hummus, Stuffed Grape Leaves, Tomato, Red Onions and Yoghurt Sauce--grilled. Now that is “home” all wrapped up in a tiny wrap. Can’t wait.