Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Vermont Leads the Way in Farmers Markets & CSAs Per Capita

During my time in our "Food" class, I have started paying more attention to anything and everything food related. This trend is particularly noticeable in my Facebook activity. I never noticed how many of my friends are actively posting and thinking about the food they eat. Several of my friends from home in VT recently posted about blog post on Upworthy.com about how Vermont is leading the country in the number of farmers markets and CSAs per capita. Growing up in Vermont and my exposure to farming and the localvore mindset that is more common there is the main reason I took the Food class. It is nice to see some actual statistics about a phenomenon I was already somewhat aware of, but just didn't know the full extent of.
The blogger at Upworthy pointed out how NY and CA are falling behind in this per capita statistic, which is also an interesting point in the context of what we've recently been talking about in class. We've discussed how much of America's agriculture is moving to Southern California, so it is interesting to see that, while they do score the highest in sheer numbers of farmers markets and CSAs (which is understandable, it is an enormous and highly productive state), per capita they are falling behind.
This infographic was produced by Sustainable America, which has lots of great blog posts and I'd recommend checking their website out.


No comments:

Post a Comment