Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Food and Friends


Food and friends

A knowledge of international dishes is a great way to make new friends from different countries. It breaks barriers, and it can help to relate to different nationalities. I would like to share some of my experiences.

1.   I met a girl in a park and I thought she was Chinese. We smiled and she said she is from Korea. Immediately, I shared a food dish with her. I like Kimchi, I told her. That excited her so much and we had a great conversation. She started visiting us with her Australian husband and we are still friends.
2.   In a restaurant, we were waiting for a table. Also waiting was a couple. The girl was Oriental and the boy was Anglo-Saxon. She told me that she was from Iran, but had immigrated to Denmark (with her parents) when she was 16. I told her I like Chelo kebab, Tah-Chin and rice with Zeresh (a berry which looks like small cranberries). She was living in Norway, and I could make conversation with her. Food removed all barriers.
3.   I met a Turkish couple. We started talking about Imam Bayaldi. Rumor has it that the holy Imam fainted when he saw the amount of olive oil in the egg-plant dish. Though I am not a fan of this dish, it did help me to break the ice.

The list goes on. The moral of the story: learn about international cuisine and you may make new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment