Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thanksgiving with the Björnsson/Arnarson/O'Neill's

I was looking though some pictures I took over Thanksgiving and thought I would share. When we got back to class after break it was great to hear about everyone's different Thanksgiving spreads and how different they were from everyone else's. I normally do Thanksgiving with my Dad, and we have a completely Italianized meal. There's the typical turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, and rolls, but there's also baked ziti, vegetable casserole, and lasagna, which I always thought were funny additions to Thanksgiving.
This year with my Mom's side of the family, we had a pretty typical spread as well, but I always like comparing what side dishes different people have. The only particular thing about this dinner is that my family insists that we use icelandic butter in everything (2 Icealanders have married into the family). Once you have Icelandic butter you never go back.



The moistest turkey I have ever had.


The regulars: gravy, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.


I think the only somewhat original dish of the night was the the kale salad, which was delightful. Sitting next to some baked sweet potatoes and the mashed potatoes covered in the one and only Icelandic butter.


The roasted red peppers and mushrooms, a green been salad, and some Italian bread finish the table.






No comments:

Post a Comment