Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Issues of Trawling Becoming More Visible

As some of you know, I'm writing my research paper for this class on the ecological effects of shrimp trawling practices and how consumers should go about changing their seafood choices to curtail the destruction. While I would hope that most people have some sort of sense about how horrendous the meat/seafood industries are, I get the sense that people aren't that aware of what trawling is or how it is wrecking havoc on the marine world currently. So, it was quite to my surprise when I found an article pertaining to deep-sea trawling in the yesterday's New York Times.

While the article was discussing how European Parliament appeared to be in the process of voting against bans on deep-sea trawling and that is by no means good news, the silver lining was that this issue was being brought into light by such a well-known source of news. I personally feel that the more people are made aware of horrible practices such as trawling producing their food or are reminded of it, the more likely people are to confront their food choices and reevaluate how their consumption affects the world's environment. In other words, it made me extremely happy to see this food issue that I've become more invested in while writing this paper was receiving attention from the New York Times.

The article:

Europe Moves to Prohibit Some Deep-Sea Trawling

No comments:

Post a Comment