Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Friday, December 13, 2013

My Adventures With Sushi


My adventures with Sushi

The first time that I tried sushi was when I was eight years old. And I did not like it. In fact, I detested it. After that, whenever my family would go out for a Japanese meal, I would panic. I had developed a childhood phobia for sushi and by extension—Japanese food. The result, if we had to go out as a family, a Japanese restaurant was off the list.
However, everything was about to change. My parents met a new couple. The husband was Canadian and worked for many years as an English teacher in Japan. He married a Japanese girl, and they started calling us for dinner. I was in a dilemma. It was impolite to refuse a meal so I got my second shot at sushi. Everything changed, and I fell in love with sushi.
At 16, I started liking sushi. I enjoyed sitting by the conveyer belt with plates of sushi coming up. But Japanese restaurants were expensive and out of reach on my meager allowance. So, I decided to start making sushi at home. I bought two books, the necessary tools, and started my adventures with sushi. It took a while, but I became quite good at making sushi. It was fun, exotic and enjoyable. And cheap. So here is my advice: try making sushi at home. You will not be disappointed.



A picture from my 19th Birthday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment