Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Duck Sauce

Everything in this class has raised my awareness about the food I eat, but one of the things that I keep coming back to is high fructose corn syrup. I remember reading Marion Nestle's chapter on sugar in her book What to Eat, and since then have been looking at every label I come across. After I watched King Corn, I was even more on the lookout for what has high fructose corn syrup in it and what doesn't.
The other day, however, I was caught by surprise. I was at a typical take out "Chinese" food place, and had picked up some packets of sauce, you know the ones:


I wondered to myself, as I am sure many people have at some point, what exactly is in those duck sauce packets? Duck? But seriously, I was curious, because I honestly had no idea what made up this tangy sauce. I look closely, and of course the first three ingredients are: water, corn syrup, and high fructose corn syrup.


Shocker, I know. I was just caught off guard, because I had absolutely no idea what was in duck sauce, and was ready for anything. I should have guessed. The soy sauce was also a culprit of corn syrup:


Well now I know....



No comments:

Post a Comment